After the optional word designator, you can add a sequence of one or more
of the following modifiers, each preceded by a ‘:’.
- Remove a trailing pathname component, leaving only the head.
- Remove all leading pathname components, leaving the tail.
- Remove a trailing suffix of the form ‘.suffix’, leaving
- Remove all but the trailing suffix.
- Print the new command but do not execute it.
- Quote the substituted words, escaping further substitutions.
- Quote the substituted words as with ‘q’,
but break into words at spaces, tabs, and newlines.
- Substitute new for the first occurrence of old in the
event line. Any delimiter may be used in place of ‘/’.
The delimiter may be quoted in old and new
with a single backslash. If ‘&’ appears in new,
it is replaced by old. A single backslash will quote
the ‘&’. The final delimiter is optional if it is the last
character on the input line.
- Repeat the previous substitution.
- Cause changes to be applied over the entire event line. Used in
conjunction with ‘s’, as in
or with ‘&’.
- Apply the following ‘s’ modifier once to each word in the event.